‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

100 days

The kids, professors, casual passersby and squirrels at my niece's college campus have all signed on to a 100 day commitment. I love stuff like that.

They all pick something they want to work on - flossing every night, reading the paper every morning, being grateful for something during the day - and do it every day for 100 days. Long enough to develop new habits, but short enough to actually sign on for.

I heard about this a month or so ago, and spent my first 30 days trying to think of what I should commit to. I figure if I have to remember to do something every day, it should be good. It should make my life better.

It should not be blogging because I tried that with NaBloPoMo and failed spectacularly.

I thought about what annoys me most about me (I do not recommend this practice), and came up with "holy mackerel, how did I get so disorganized?" You know that scene in Borat, where he goes in the antique shop and every time he tries to catch something he knocks over another huge display? I feel like that is my life these days. I never seem to get caught up, and some areas of our lives are just too daunting to even look at.

Therefore, I'm spending the next 100 days being organized. I am doing a little something every day so I don't get scared and spend 96 of those days hiding under my bed. My last day is November 1, by which time I had better be a shining example of organizational glory or I want my 100 days back.

They say it takes 28 days to develop a new habit. Does it take that long to break an old habit? I have a bunch of old habits I'd like to break, please.

What would you do with your 100 days?

8 comments:

cIII said...

It's a toss up between learning to play the Violin (or "fiddle" depending on your Geography) or, writing something that doesn't suck.

I think the Fiddle would be easier.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I think I should definitely blog every day. Yes.

(This was also my strategy for Lent when I was still a Good Catholic--only give up something I wouldn't miss. You can see why I am now a Fallen-Away Catholic and almost certainly on the papal blacklist.)

Lisa said...

I should pick being organized, but oh, that sounds like a lot of work and no fun. Maybe one of these days.

The Whispering Poppies said...

I'd like to spend 100 days weaning my way off meat so I can become a full-fledged vegetarian (who still eats shellfish).

Hit 40 said...

I want to start exercising, but not enough to stop blogging. I love blogging!!! I love meeting new folks on the computer and seeing little bits of their lives.

MsPicketToYou said...

i don't want to even say it out loud but i think it's...


NOT SMOKING.

fuck.

JAbel said...

I think reading a new poem each day for a hundred days would be cool or writing a Haiku each day but maybe eating Lobster for a hundred days would be tastier.

JAbel said...

PS,going back to your Mac&Cheese pizza post some time ago I have found a recipe that looks good for White Clam pizza and am making it on Wed night.I hardly ever make Pizza at home instead making a Tomato Tart so the idea of making one myself took all these months after your post to light itself in the dim recess of my mind.