‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Green Eggs and Ham

Some of these posts feel like puzzle pieces.

Sometimes I think if I keep providing puzzle pieces, then eventually a complete picture will emerge and we will all understand my family and how it works. Note to self: Good luck with that.

So instead I will answer one of my own questions, which is "what do you have musicians sign once there are no cds."

In order to tell you about it properly, we have to skip merrily back in time to a trip I took with Sugarplum before Studley graced our stage.

Sugarplum and I were in Vermont and had stopped for lunch at the Simon Pearce studio in Quechee. On our way out, we spotted our friends the Colley's, who were also on vacation. Dana Colley is an amazing saxophone player and was in the band Morphine. I later spent a good bit of time in the car thinking about all the truly fascinating people we've met through the years, and wished I had some way to get it all down on paper.

Coincidentally, and completely unrelatedly, the friends we were visiting in Vermont had a friend who worked at House of Blues. Their friend had a book - a picture book - which people signed when they were in town. So we looked around and chose Green Eggs and Ham as our autograph album of choice. Here are some favorites, in no particular order:



David Lowery (Cracker), Colin Hay (Men at Work), Evan Dando (The Lemonheads), Juliana Hatfield, Frank Black (The Pixies) and Peter Wolf (J. Geils Band)

When Evan Dando was asked to sign he said "ah, The Book" which I take to mean "man, I have really made it NOW."

We started the book as a gift to Sugarplum, and many of the signatures therein are addressed to her. Some people wrote all over the page and added their own stories (Buffalo Tom, I'm looking - gratefully - at you). People have been incredibly, incredibly gracious.

Now we're adding a copy of The Giving Tree for Studley. Since it is empty, we're considering sending it on a road trip of its own, to collect the signatures of friends afar, like Dana Colley and the exquisite Dan Maines of Clutch. We can't possibly send Green Eggs and Ham because how do you insure something like that?

I sure hope these kids appreciate all we do for them. Think of the hours of live music we've endured! The YEARS of nightclubbing! We do, do, do for those little buggers.

Parenthood rocks.

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is so amazingly awesome, I may have to copy your idea, but with our own book so it doesn't look like we REALLY stole it- but you'll know.:)

We put the Dan Maines (AKA Daddy) on the bus tonight for a month- the littles had such fun playing in his bunk, till they realized we were- you know- leaving. him. there. Oy vey.:)

You are sparkle-tastic, my friend.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

"The Giving Tree"? Are you trying to make them all cry before they autograph it? Because they will. It's impossible NOT to look at that book and not shed a tear or two.

Dana's Brain said...

Okay. I think you might be too cool for me to be friends with you.

Seriously, that is awesome. Probably wouldn't be as neat if I did it and just had random family members sign it, huh? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Bella said...

i had a copy of The Giving Tree and had to return it because i so hated the boy/man who just never seemed satisfied or grateful to the tree. i think i'm missing the point somewhere...

so glad to be a part of that great tradition!

Lisa said...

This is wonderful. I absolutely love it.

As for the Giving Tree, it makes me cry every time. I don't think I could have that be my pass-around book.

Tiny Dancer said...

What a great idea! Where were you when my kids were little? We could have used Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are. Isn't it fun to have your kids grow up thinking musicians are cool but very accessible?

cIII said...

Evan Dando...Green Eggs and Ham...

Pea and Carrots.

TwoBusy said...

That's just about the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

No, no... wait: that IS the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Susan said...

Wow, the dorky kids at the end of the block get some street cred!

I might have to reconsider the 2nd book, as we can't have musicians openly weeping. Bella gave us Forever Young (illustrated version of the Dylan lyrics), but it's too beautiful to write on. Suggestions?

Ms Picket To You said...

can i have that please?