‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Jell-o Gelatin Salad Selector

--

So the other day I was at my mom's house and I saw this book and said "hey mom, can I have this?" And she said of course I could have it and did I need any jell-o molds?

I told her I had all the molds I needed. I did not tell her I do not have a single mold and was mostly taking the book so that she would not make me eat anything out of it.

To be fair, I also wanted it for its design sense. It's been a long time since I owned a book with spinning pages. And I don't think I've ever owned a book with pictures quite like these. It will be kept on the coffee table.

Each page features a meat-related question, such as "are you making pork chops tonight?" And even though the answer for us is "no," how can one resist turning the little wheel to discover the Jell-O options that pair nicely with pork chops?

These salads have names like Banana Greens, Carrot Cheese Ring, Saucy Yogurt Salad and Hawaiian Harvest. Shown with the ham is Pineapple Lime Temptation.


Unfortunately, we have to skip these recipes since we don't eat much meat. We are, as our friend Jacob calls us, Flexitarians. In other words we tell people we are vegetarians if they look like they're about to make ham with a Carrot Cheese Ring. We tell my mother we are vegetarians.

We frequently eat fish, and would be especially intrigued if it were served with Cucumber Dill Slice (shown in the little window there on the right). Is there anything cucumber dill jell-o doesn't go with? It's like the little black dress of side-dishes. To be fair, Lemon Crisp Salad, with its scallions and celery is equally tempting.

On the hamburger page is a recipe for Tomato Aspic. My mother made tomato aspic once when I brought Chris over before we were married. It is made with lemon gelatin, tomato juice, horseradish and onion. He married me anyway.

Just across from the hamburgers is a Longhorn Salad. Doesn't that corn and scallion mixture look delicious suspended in lemon gelatin? Don't forget the steak sauce. It's not Longhorn Salad without it.


I have to say, I've never been much of one for steak. I think maybe because it always looked just like the steak in the picture. It's unfortunate, because that's the page with the most intriguing recipes, including Asparagus Castle, French Bean Basket and Ranch Relish Salad . Would Asparagus Castle go with something like, say, Pad Thai?

Now if you are having Jell-O recipe book envy, don't fret or stew (stewed tomatoes are divine in strawberry gelatin, btw), because they are still available out there on the internets. I just googled it so it must be so. And if you really want one of the recipes but don't want to buy the book (it's almost $5), feel free to email my mother.

Bon appetit.

9 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

If you have not yet visited The Gallery of Regrettable Food, you must do so immediately. Just Google it--you won't be sorry.

Mary Alice said...

hahaa. Oh the jell-o salad, a feature at many a church luncheon. What says Jesus so loved the world, like a lemon jell-o with cream cheese and tiny shredded carrots?

Logical Libby said...

"For it's design sense." You don't have to cover up your love for Jello. Here in Utah we celebrate it!

Lisa said...

These are the salads of my youth - summers spent with relatives in ND and MN. Until you dig into a Jell-o salad book you have no idea of the possibilities.

Newt said...

Oh, I shouldn't have clicked on this so early in the morning.

cIII said...

I think you may have Found your new Autograph Book.

That there is solid Gold. Or, solid Mold.

Get it? Mold.

Yea...I'm here all week.

Celia said...

oh wow. heinous. I had to learn how to do all kinds of fancy molds in culinary school. Horrifying. Chaud froid. yummo.

Rose Brier Studio said...

Ya know very close to the gator bag are some old Jello recipe books. I'll have to check and see if they are as disturbing as yours!

MsPicketToYou said...

so making this one TONIGHT peeps.