‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, August 29, 2009

chocolate zucchini cake, finally

The kids are in bed. The MiL and the Queen Mum have retreated to their rooms. Chris is working. And I have an entire chocolate cake in the kitchen.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't shed these last few baby pounds.

This cake used (part of) the last Giant Zucchini from our garden. There's just one small one left, which I've reserved for another zucchini and goat cheese pizza. This cake, however, is the reason I planted zucchini in the first place.

It's a Colorado Spiced Chocolate Zucchini Cake and the problem with the recipe is that it's supposed to be made at about 7,220 feet above sea level. Not four feet above sea level. I Googled to see if anyone knew how to convert high altitude recipes to sea level, but there seems to be a greater demand for the other way around. It seems no one else knows church ladies in Colorado whose cakes have made people consider building oxygen-depleted kitchens in which to duplicate said cakes in their decidedly sea level homes.

It took me all summer to trust my reverse engineering. I finally made it last night, and am here to say that I will be planting zucchini again next summer.

Maryann's Colorado Spiced Chocolate Zucchini Cake,
Trout-style (sea level version)
*

3/4 cup butter (room temp)
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and zucchini.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to egg mixture, alternating with milk (beginning and ending with flour). Mix well.

Bake in two, well-greased and floured 9" pans (round or square) for 30 minutes. When cool, frost with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Or just eat it.

Oh yes.

* if you just googled "high altitude zucchini cake," add an extra 2 tablespoons of milk, and use 1 3/4 tsp powder and 1 1/2 tsp soda. Bake at 375.

9 comments:

just making my way said...

Hello? Can I get the recipe for the cream cheese frosting too please??

Are you eating it on your new bathroom floor?

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Oooooh! Did I catch this post in time? I'll be right over..... lol

Hit 40 said...

Zucchini chocolate cake!!! I bet it is wonderful.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I LOVE Chocolate zucchinni cake.
Unfortunately these days I have to convert everything to gluten free. Right now I'm having to come up with pie crust, because my gluten free baby has decided he LOVES pie!

kayare said...

I'm heading out to the yard to harvest zucchini. I plan to make this immediately! Happy Birthday and new bathroom!

Greg said...

It's your Birthday?!? You made a chocolate zucchini cake?! You have a new bathroom floor. Dear lord, I'm out of the loop...but I know where Trout Towers is now...is there any cake left?

: )

JAbel said...

It pays to follow those high altitude instructions if you live high up.I recall my first attempt at brownies at my brothers in Lake Tahoe did not come out well at all.

♥ Braja said...

And no eggs...bless you :))

Came via Vodka Mom's. Cos I need to constantly kick her ass and on your blog I can with the Followers: right behind her :)

Anonymous said...

I live 20 feet BELOW sealevel, can you please convert the recipe for me?
George