‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, August 28, 2009

high maintenance trophy wife

This is the bathroom I moved into last year. I know, you're jealous. I haven't posted pictures before because I didn't want to make you sad that you didn't have a bathroom like ours. I also didn't want to hurt the feelings of whoever picked out the linoleum. In the 7os.

I'm over that now.

You may notice that the faucet area is exposed sheetrock. This is because a couple years ago the people who were staying downstairs objected to being scalded every time someone upstairs (me) took a shower/flushed the toilet/ran the kitchen sink just to hear the screaming. So we had a plumber come and take our house apart to access and remove the scald mechanism.

He did not put our house back together when he was done.

Have you ever noticed that you don't feel a great desire to take care of something that's already pretty gross? Yeah. Us too.

However! I asked for a new tile floor for my birthday, et voila!


Chris also threw in the tile in the shower for good measure. Actually, he wasn't home when The Tile Guru came by, so I asked that it be included in the estimate.

It's my birthday present! Hahahahahaha! What has become of me? The worst part is how much time I've spent sitting on the bathroom floor, admiring it. Italian tile! It's almost like getting pottery, right?

But wait, what's that? You want to know what on earth is on the walls of the shower? So you can duplicate it in your own home? Well I'm so glad you asked. It's a feature of Trout Towers. In fact, when I first went to go pick out tiles, I started to explain about our shower. He stopped me. "Oh, I know about your shower," he said.

It's cedar clapboard, rather like you'd find in an outdoor shower. I used to hate it. I hated it until I went to a friend's house for the first time and used her bathroom. I sereptitiously lured Chris into their bathroom and demanded one just like it. The shower area was separated from the rest of the bathroom, and there was a sliding glass door to the outside. An indoor/outdoor shower, if you will. It had wood walls, like ours. And plants! It was fabulous.

The funky quirkiness of her home has given me a greater appreciation for the idiosyncrasies of Trout Towers. When I see similar things in her house, I love them. Why is that?

When I told her about the tile, she asked if we'd taken out the wood. I told her no, and explained that I rather liked it now, since I coveted the one in her house. Turns out, she likes hers more since seeing the one at Trout Towers. What is wrong with us?

We still have a bit of work to do. Painting. Adding a vent. Stupid stuff. Oh, and there's still a huge hole in the wall.

There's always Christmas.

There is one small problem. Right after the tile went in, we discovered a puddle in the basement. The tile installation corresponded with the repair of our dishwasher (which had been broken since the last week the previous people were here - a year ago. I repeat, what is WRONG WITH US?) so there was some question about where the puddle was coming from. I first entertained the thought that perhaps a large farm animal had somehow fallen down the bulkhead stairs, peed, and found its way out. I hoped this was the case.

It is a sad thing when a rogue farm animal in the basement is the best case scenario, is it not?

If worse comes to worse, we'll get the plumber to look at it when he comes to put in the new bathroom sink. Which my sister gave me. For my birthday.

It's been a good year.

7 comments:

Tiny Dancer said...

All the houses on cape cod are in cahoots with the plumbers, electricians, and carpenters. How else do you explain the need to repair them on an almost constant basis?

On the other hand it could be the damp, the age, or the fact that cottages meant to be lived in for just the summer are now expected to perform 12 months of the year.

this comment is s'posed to be funny. i'm not sure it comes across.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That's quite an improvement. The downstairs bathroom at our house used to be almost that bad--everything, including the floor, was just rotting and mildewed and plumbed for the 1920s. It was an embarrassment, really. I'm not ashamed to say that after it was totally gutted and re-done I spent quite a long time sitting on the new tub, admiring the new Italian tiles and the lack of mildew.

Of course, the mildew returned. But the tiles are still there.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Oh my dear Susan... if it's quirkiness like this you are fond of, you are cordially invited over to my house to see what we have going on (or should I say, which projects have gone stagnant), and you can make a list of all the wonderful things here you'd like to copy at Trout Towers. I'd start a list here, but hubby might think we're boasting...

HeatherPride said...

I can relate. I once drank a bottle of wine while sitting on the floor of my bathroom after a stupendous paint job (my moi, of course). Congrats on the new tile!

Bella said...

so does that mean you're sleeping in the tub these days? it's fab. wish i had such charm and quirkiness at my house.

just making my way said...

I think you need to sit on your new tile floor and have some cake. And if you get messy - voila! - shower!

Hit 40 said...

Interesting shower?? I have never heard of cedar walls in a shower. We have tile. I kinda want granite with as few seams as possible for mold to accumulate.

I love your new floor! Beautiful.