‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

nostalgia crasher

There is a bumper sticker around here that says "I'm not on your vacation."

I have no idea why people think New Englanders aren't friendly.

I don't have one of those stickers, because I'm trying really, really hard to be on people's vacations. Look through your own vacation pictures and you may find me, smiling, trying to blend. It is hard to blend when you are the color of poached fish and you live at the beach.

Anyway! We had a very vacationy day last weekend. We did a tiny bit of gallery hopping and then went to a friend's house to pick blueberries. Two gallons of blueberries. Our friends will probably not make the mistake of inviting us over to pick again.

In addition to the two gallons we brought home, Studley consumed at least two pints.

Have I told you about the pick-your-own strawberry farm my parents used to take us to when we were on vacation here? They'd weigh us kids on the way out. It probably took me 30 years to realize it was a joke.

If they had weighed Studley, they would have looked at the scale, looked at it again, scratched their heads and said "there must be a mistake?"

Since it was the weekend and since we were not the only ones out doing touristy things, I used my super secret knowledge of the area to take the backroads home.

This was on Saturday, aka "changeover day." On Saturday morning, the renters leave. On Saturday afternoon, the new renters arrive. All over the Cape.

Everywhere we looked there were minivans and station wagons in driveways, with all the doors and hatchbacks open. People were carrying stuff into houses. Kids were out front throwing frisbees around. The First Day of Vacation was palpable.

I remember those days so clearly from when we were kids. We'd finally, FINALLY arrive at our beach house - the one we'd rented for two glorious weeks. We'd pile out of the car and run to pick bedrooms. We'd explore. We'd play with the beach toys in the yard. In later years, we'd go searching for summer friends who owned cottages nearby.

And then we'd all pile back in the car and go grocery shopping.

I have no idea why. I know we weren't alone because I see entire families in the grocery store now all the time. They're buying donut holes and burger buns, not kitty litter and grout.

I want to be buying donut holes and burger buns. I want to play in the yard and pick bedrooms and explore the neighborhood with fresh eyes.

My mom made strawberry jam while we were on vacation, and brought jars of it home.

Last night, I made blueberry jam. It tastes just like summer.

Hi. I'm Susan, and I'm on your vacation.

13 comments:

Celia said...

You are so much nicer than me. Shoobies are my kryptonite.

If you have fresh blueberry jam YOU NEED BISCUITS SUSAN. A hot biscuit slathered with butter and fresh jam is one of the best things ever.

The Whispering Poppies said...

You and I will forever be "washashores" Susan, so we are on a perpetual vacation!

Susan said...

Celia - I love that you have Shoobies. We have Washashores (people who have moved here), Lizards (people who crawl to the shore, sun themselves, and crawl back home)and Weekend Warriors. In Colorado, we called tourists Gapers (because they stand around with their mouths hanging open. Probably gulping for oxygen, now that I think about it.)

Any other endearing names for non-locals?

JAbel said...

In San Diego they call the folks who flock to cooler climes in Summer from Arizona"Zonies" but it isn't exactly an endearing name.In Florida they call the northeners Snowbirds.In Rochester N.Y. before they changed the arear code the locals in Wayne County a rural county next door called the summer cottage folks"You 716ers" Alas I haven't heard 585ers since Buffalo was given all of 716.

WhisperingWriter said...

Okay, now I want some jam. I just bought some bagels and fresh jam would go perfectly on them..

TwoBusy said...

Back in San Francisco we used to call them Tourons. In Boston? We just call them students.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We just call 'em outsiders. With a "Deliverance" type sneer.

just making my way said...

Having now lived and worked in two major tourist attractions - Key West and Newport - I can say with certainty that I would like to get one of those bumper stickers that say, "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

That was quite a sentence.

With love from Pig Latin!

Meadowlark said...

How nice! If you have an extra jar of blueberry I'll trade you one of "sunshine" (aka pineapple lemon) for it. Although I'll be honest... I need to make more and am NOT extremely happy with the pineapple I'm finding. But I haven't given up. Let me know!

Meadowlark said...

And (embarrassingly) we call them "californicators". (hanging head in shame)

Susan said...

Meadowlark - sign me up for some pineapple sunshine!

Rose Brier Studio said...

You're nice Susan. As I was looking out my barn door the vacationers were piling up at the flashing light and honking their horns and swearing at each other (yes, I could hear those nasty terms they used) and I wanted to yell at them to shut up and go home. But I didn't. This is, after all, a place where the natives are friendly, and smile, and welcome those folks whose attitude is "I'm on vacation, get out of my way!" And I don't mind if they spend money with me while they're here. Could they just lay off the horns? It will not get them where they are going any faster!
ok, end of rant.

Tiny Dancer said...

I always loved the bumper sticker that read: "Welcome to Oregon. Spend you money, Leave your daughters and GO HOME!" It was aimed at Californians who were moving there in far too many numbers for the Oregonians!