‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, August 24, 2009

when no one's looking

Today after work I went to join Chris, the kids, my MiL, and the Queen Mum at a park for a concert. And then I left them there.

Chris looked at me with puppy dog eyes and asked why I was going. I explained that I was feeling fidgety. That there were many things I needed to be doing and I just couldn't settle into my spot on the picnic blanket. Also, since I was driving his car, and his car was full of sound equipment (barely leaving enough room for the driver) (not an exaggeration), I couldn't bring anyone with me.

Here are the things I had to do:

Thing one.
Procure and consume a brownie sundae for dinner.

Do I need to explain this? It has to do with wanting something, but not wanting to let your kids know you want it. Also, not having to explain or justify it. Which I am doing now. I'll move on before I ruin my whole freaking evening.

Thing two.
Sit on deck, swat mosquitos and do absolutely nothing. Nothing. Nothing at all.

Okay, maybe I listened to the birds. And admired the eggplant. I may have noticed that the grass smelled like rain. I may have licked my plastic ice cream bowl. But really, nothing.

I didn't have to get up and get something for someone.

I didn't have to tell anyone to put their underwear back on.

I didn't have to figure out what to make for dinner.

I didn't have to tell anyone what I was doing.

I did all of this not-doing until I was good and ready to do something. And then I came inside to fold laundry but instead sat on the couch and read. Delightful, that.

And then the family came home and it was as if the sound came back on. And it went from black and white to color. And it was just exactly as good as a brownie sundae.

Trust me, I've compared.

11 comments:

just making my way said...

I love the sentiment about wanting something and not wanting your family - especially kids! - to know about it. Like all those mornings in June when I snuck cake for breakfast.

ovelay emay omesay akecay!

(I had to google that translation)

Zip n Tizzy said...

It is just as lovely, but more so after having the chance to savor that brownie sundae without hiding behind the freezer door and pushing your child back saying, "look away... there's nothing to see here!"

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Wait. Are you telling me my child will expect me to SHARE the Oreos?

I may have to re-think this parenthood thing . . .

Bella said...

you see this is where the beauty of video comes in. it is a drug, you know. you set it up. go to the kitchen, help yourself, sit outside and enjoy. 20mins later they come looking for you because the drug has worn off and you sit there smiling, happy to see them.

not sure what works on the Mil and Queen Mum. you have too many people to sedate.

(and you put in a full length movie if you need to call one of your best friends to catch up...gives you more time.)

Debbie said...

I just love you for the whole brownie sundae thing. Yes, I know that feeling. Isn't it a great one? Sneaking is so much fun.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

So THAT'S why you are always so serene when I see you!!! I still haven't learned the trick of allowing any "me" time. But I eat plenty of ice cream sundeas anyhow. ;)

Janine said...

This is a wonderful post. Being alone with one's very own sundae restores complete faith in the universe.

Laggin said...

I actually allowed Younger the joy of ice cream for breakfast once. She still revels in that morning. Funny though, she really doesn't ask for a repeat performance. It's as if, since I allowed that single tear in the mom-rule-continuum, she's content.

It sounds like a perfectly lovely evening to me.

JAbel said...

Okay you know that catchy liitle quote most writers put on a seperate page right before the novel starts.If I ever get one published may I use"I didn't have to tell anyone to put their underwear back on" with your name of course.It works on so many levels.

Tiny Dancer said...

*sigh* I know that feeling . . . and miss it, really I do.

Shannon said...

I totally get wanting to snarf down forbidden goodies without the kids begging for some and not wanting to set a bad example by how terribly much I want said forbidden foods. :) Glad I'm not the only one.