‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, August 23, 2009

wind and waves, pt. 2

It's official. We live close enough to the ocean to hear the waves. Maybe just during hurricanes*, but still. Also, the smell of salt air woke me up and so, no matter what happens, I will be in a fine mood all day.

The yard is suddenly chaotic with birds. Loud, chirpy, fluttery birds. They sound happy enough, but they are seriously in full-on assault mode. They are flittering around in the sunflowers next to the door. They're in every tree. They are almost loud enough to cover the sound of ocean.

It eases the mind somewhat when the birds come and hang out, instead of trampling through (along with all the rabbits, squirrels, foxes, deer and household pets), trying to get the heck out of dodge. They are here and making themselves right at home.

It appears I may not have to go find Toto and head to the storm cellar after all. Bill may prefer Newfoundland this time of year?

* can't you just imagine the real estate description? Yeah, maybe they'll leave that part out.

5 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

This morning we sniffed the fine aroma of lowtide outside our door (which is a ten minute bikeride from the beach). So for today, I'm living in my dreamhouse next to the sea. ;)

just making my way said...

I missed part 1 yesterday - so happy to hear you are not up in the clouds somewhere about to fall on a witch!

When I was young and we used to visit my grandparents at the Jersey shore I would lie awake in the morning and listen to the surf. I love that sound.

Laggin said...

Writing to you from the land of Oz...it's not Toto's time of year, so you can have him!

But it sounds like all is ok with you and I'm glad to hear that.

the inadvertent farmer said...

I love the smell of salt air and the sea breeze, but not at wind speeds of over say...20mph! Glad you came through ok. Kim

Tiny Dancer said...

I slept through it all. 'Course I slept through earthquakes when I lived in California. And I did so want to see Toto looking out his window!