‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, September 19, 2009

consumer culture

Last night we went to a party filled with hipsters and artists and intelligentsia. Also some drunk people. And us.

The Upstairs Neighbor went with us and at some point she noted that there were cupcakes in the den. Which seems like a good reason to check out the artwork in the den, no? Cupcakes procured, she and I sat on the bottom stair (which faces away from all the party action) and hid. Big Daddy (which is for all intents and purposes his real name since that's what everyone calls him and I know none other), came around the corner.

"You haven't seen us" we said in unison.

They were delicious. All jacked up on sugar, we then moved into the "I love you, man" phase of the party. Orange frosting brings out gratitude for friends and family. It would have emboldened me to actually talk to the people I was tickled absolutely pink to meet, but they probably left when they noticed the cupcakes were all gone. They are funny and smart. I just googled them to see if they had any videos I could post and show you what funny, smart people I know, but I didn't find anything so they are funny, smart, not-famous people and I am glad I ate their cupcakes.

And then today I ate oysters and oyster fritters and tempura veggies and am feeling ever so slightly unwell. I went to Boogie on the Bay, a WOMR festival that has music, food and art/craft/whatnot vendors, and I have a strict policy of No One Leaves Until the Last Dollar is Spent at such things. Thus the tempura veggies.

And then the kids had the audacity to say they were hungry when we got home and is it my fault they were making noodle necklaces while I was supporting the culinary arts SINGLE-HANDEDLY? I think not.

I made dinner for them and my MiL because I am a saint or some other sort of divine being, and then I tested the usefulness of technology by texting Chris "please bring me a whoopie pie when you come home." I had forgotten about them when I bought the tempura veggies. And then I put the request on my facebook page, for good measure. If I don't get a whoopie pie, wireless technology is a useless waste.

And now, we wait. On the bottom stair.

5 comments:

TwoBusy said...

You are a whoopie pie bodhisattva.

Hit 40 said...

You must be hungry. Cupcakes and whoopie pie!! Grab a snack :-)

hazelblackberry said...

"They are funny and smart. I just googled them to see if they had any videos I could post and show you what funny, smart people I know, but I didn't find anything so they are funny, smart, not-famous people and I am glad I ate their cupcakes."

Hemingway, eat yer heart out.

just making my way said...

MMMMMMMMM...whoopie pies. I hope you got one.

Jett said...

"I am a saint or some other sort of divine being" should totally be the title line for your page.