‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, September 7, 2009

goodbye to summer, 2009 edition

Wait, that was it? That was summer?

I have to wait nine months before I can plant tomatoes again? There's no more hope of feeding my family off the land this year? They won't give me a beach sticker even if I do find my registration? I went the ENTIRE SUMMER with no beach sticker?* That was the last show at the Beachcomber? It's too late to get a sitter and try to catch something? What do you mean the ice cream shops are closing for the season? What am I supposed to doooooooo?

Can I write this entire post with nothing but questions?

I've been so excited about school buses and fall weather, I forgot that there are things going by the wayside. It is clearly time for our last ditch attempt at making summer not break up with us. It never works, of course, but at least we'll give it our best effort. We must:

  • go bumper boating, stat
  • swim
  • have a beach fire
  • have a driveway fire
  • eat out before all the restaurants close
  • walk on the flats
  • sail at least one more time
  • figure out how to set our tide clock, for crying out loud
It will be a busy September, but I think we are just the trouts for the job.


* I love the beach at off-hours. And we've been living at ponds this year. Don't call DSS. I haven't been neglecting my kids' water requirements.

7 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We have to stack wood. Definitely less fun than anything on your list.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Now you'll have plenty of time to fill out endless permission forms, help Sugarplum read those tiny little paper books she'll take home each day, go door-to-door for all the endless school fundraisers... and you can always plant bulbs if the green thumb requires.

Lisa said...

Sarah said at the Greenheads show the other night that we can just pretend it's Memorial Day and summer won't end... I'm trying that.

Laggin said...

I KNOW. Summer is such a teasing bitch.

Bella said...

you forgot to add to your list.
go swim with the great white sharks...

Tiny Dancer said...

I think it will feel like summer's over when my kids are off at school/new adventures. This day I have them both home, so its still summer in my house! I'm holding on to it for as long as I can.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Must be even more extreme in your tourist paradise.
I have to say I prefer your ponds, but your beaches ain't bad either!

We had the year of the $75 tomato. I think we had 3.

I think next year I'll just plant sunflowers, but I say that every year.