‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, September 14, 2009

grammar

I googled "time change 2009" to find out when to set my clocks back and for some reason I kept reading. Now I have a crush on whoever wrote this:

The official spelling is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight SavingS Time.

Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Because of this, it would be more accurate to refer to DST as daylight-saving time. Similar examples would be a mind-expanding book or a man-eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.

Nevertheless, many people feel the word savings (with an 's') flows more mellifluously off the tongue. Daylight Savings Time is also in common usage, and can be found in dictionaries.

(from www.webexhibits.org)


I love the word "mellifluous."

I also love to think about what he/she would do when receiving an email asking when Daylight Saving's Time is.

That was painful to write.

(November 1, btw)

12 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Did you ever hear my BIL chatter (er, uh... blabber) on and on? I officially now dub him as "mellifluous". Thank you for the vocab! ;)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That took me back to my days as a proofreader, when I actually had to care about such things and explain them to the people who wrote the text I was correcting.

I don't miss it.

just making my way said...

Mellifluous is an excellent word. And "mellifluously" is just that teensy bit better for the added LLLL sound.

Nov 1? That seems late. Which I'm happy about. I hate Daylight Saving Time in the Fall.

for a different kind of girl said...

As one who loves words, especially words used correctly, I'm glad to know there's someone else out there who knows there's no 's' necessary!

(and I agree - November 1 does seem late this year)

Laggin said...

I once wrote an associate an entire LONG e-mail on the phrase "beyond the pale" and another on "petard". Even I found myself to be ridiculous. It's bad enough that I still lecture new associates on ellipses.

And my word verification is "agitati"; I love that.

Shannon said...

People like that should move here to Saskatchewan where we do not save daylight or any other kind of time. Or to whatever states don't change time. Are there any?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Shannon: Arizona doesn't. Which means that in the summer, my family is three hours behind me instead of two. Makes for some tricky timing for phone calls. I think there are a couple more states that don't, too.

I wish I still lived in a state that does not mess with clocks. I find it annoying and unnecessary. Sadly, my opinion does not seem to carry enough weight with the people in Washington who make the laws about such things. Obviously, they don't know who I AM.

Which is . . . no one, really.

Hit 40 said...

Your scaring me!!! My worst English class memories are coming flooding back to me.

(hee hee .... I know it was You're not your. Just messing with you.)

Tiny Dancer said...

I love language. Sadly my mom still corrects my grammar which has made me a little paranoid about the usage of "I" and "me."

And although this has nothing to do with your post Susan, Laggin's comment reminded me that I have been "beyond the pale," in Ireland, that is. In ancient times it was considered similar to falling off the flat earth. Today it's rather beautiful, green countryside.

kayare said...

Daylight Saving Time was late last year as well-and wasn't that on purpose to help with the economy? Or am I just dreaming that?

JAbel said...

As far as I know only Arizona and Hawaii don't observe daylight savings time and yes it has been later the past few years due to the economy and oil prices.They did this during the first one in the early 70's and as a result our school bus during high school picked us up in the dark that winter and as a result we were able to drink wine out of goat skin flasks and smoke doobies blowing the smoke out the windows of the darkened bus.

Jett said...

I'm pretty sure you are stuffed with Awesome.