‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, September 10, 2009

jiggedy jig

I just stopped commuting to a school that was ridiculously far away. I took the kids there for 4 years and was very happy to do it. But now that I've stopped? It's like "oooooh, THIS is what it feels like to stop hitting my foot with the hammer."

It's good on so many levels. Mostly, it's just good to be home. It's good to see people I know on the road when I drive Studley to school. It's good to stop for coffee and see friends. It's good to get behind a car with an "Eat More Kale" bumper sticker, even though I cannot choke down kale. It's what makes this part of Cape Cod, well, this part of Cape Cod. The sentiment, I mean. Not the kale.

It's good to work at a real office when the kids are in school, instead of hopping from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot.

We moved here because we wanted to be HERE. We love life out beyond the Cape's elbow. Things are a little slower, a little scrappier, a little kale-ier. It's our home, and I for one have missed it.

Which is not to say that I haven't loved getting to know the Upper Cape (the part that's just this side of the canal) and the people there. Lucky for me, they all stand between me and Target, so we won't be separated forever.

A friend of mine just moved here from there. She's homesick. For her, it's not her neighbor pulling out of the lumber yard ahead of her. It's not her friend stopping in the middle of the road to ask Sugarplum how her first day of school was. It's not an art gallery filled with pre-Sugarplum nostalgia and bright, shiny memories. But it will be, given time.

This morning I took the scenic route to Studley's school. Driving along the ocean road, I rolled down the windows to smell salt air. This road will be practically deserted in a couple months, as the last summer people secure their shutters. With no tourists in my way, I could drive much faster. But I don't know why I would.

It's good to be home, and I don't really need to be anywhere else in a hurry.

12 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I hate driving. You're a good mom for sucking it up for so many years for your kids. They should make you a cake.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Change a few names and I think you could have written my post for me today. ;)

PS my entire fam live just over the bridge, and we do Target and JCPenney quite often. ;) I've been told Red Robin has delicious, affordable and outrageously sized proportions, so if you want to eat out and have enough to reheat on day 2 without spending a bundle, that's the way to go.

just making my way said...

I love tourist towns when there are no tourists. When my husband and I worked on Block Island we stayed late into October. The winds and the waves and the freedom were wonderful.

Peace Turkey said...

I envy the fact that you can smell the sea all the time.

Vodka Mom said...

i hear ya.


I am breathing a sigh of relief for your soul.........

Tiny Dancer said...

I love this time of year. I like being able to drive fast or slow cuz no one is pushing. And it's nice when the honks out front are cuz a friend has driven by the house, rather than someone impatient to get on with their vacation.
There really is not place like home.

Tiny Dancer said...

oops, that was s'posed to be "no place like home!"

HeatherPride said...

Cool post. I do love to breathe in some salt air. Of course, here in Missouri that's hard to find.

Janna said...

This post sums up everything I love about the Lower Cape. I'm really sad that Brewster seems to want to grow up and be the Hamptons instead.

And no nummy kale even in nummy kale soup?

Susan said...

Janna - I will eat kale to be polite, but no, not even in kale soup. I would still probably put the bumper sticker on my car, though.

I lived in Brewster for four years and loved it. It was brewster that first made me love the cape as a child. I would literally count the days until our Brewster vacation every summer. Dreamy.

JennyMac said...

I love touristy places too..when no one else is there! LOL.

TwoBusy said...

Awesome. Just... awesome.