‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, September 27, 2009

stringed

I was raised on classical music. I converted to punk rock at some point in high school. I get confused sometimes.

I was at symphony this weekend and I couldn't help but wonder what happens when a violinist breaks a string. Where are the roadies and guitar techs? Does some dude in a black concert t-shirt and a laminate scurry on stage, grab the violin and whisk it into the wings for restringing? And if so, why have I never seen it? Maybe at symphony they use kabuki puppets so we don't notice all the scurrying?

Or! Maybe the idea of having so many stringed instruments is that if one blows out, the others can cover for it. Violinists are like the extra wheels on a tractor trailer truck.

I played in a student orchestra in high school and honestly don't remember what happens if you break a string. I was mostly afraid I'd lose an eye when a violin string broke. I remember breaking them when I was tuning, so maybe violinists don't break strings while performing. Or they just break them on the hard core pieces, for which they have spare violins lined up on little violin stands. They need the spares because sometimes? violins get thrown.

I don't seem to ever get tickets to those performances.

So! Cultural weekend! I was mistaken for an artist, which was fun. I was told I looked like Juliette Binoche, which is always very welcome (the resemblance is strikingly...dissimilar). I met a very creative and thinky person whose work I admire - and found him worthy of all accolades. And I went to symphony and compared the first and second violin sections to semi trucks.

Time for bed. My work here is done.

6 comments:

Jett said...

Three gay men told me I had spectacular eyebrows, so there's that.

Also, I baked.

So, all in all I'd say my weekend was TOTALLY comparable to yours.

Lisa said...

Man, would I love to be compared to Juliette Binoche! What a compliment!

Helena Halme said...

There's an award for you on my blog!

just making my way said...

Lovely weekend! I really like the idea of a symphony roadie. Covered in tats and piercings, protecting all the stringed instruments.

Tiny Dancer said...

So I was reading out loud about violin string breakage and up pipes the music man: "It happens incredibly rarely, and unlike guitarists, who really don't care if they break strings because it allows their roadies to scurry, violin players regularly check their strings and replace strings that look like they are fraying or wearing out." take that guitarists!

We have a mutual friend who once broke every guitar string while gigging at Passim. Music man took over the melody on bass. They had no roadies.

click said...

Your mention of raised on classical, found punk in high school reminded me of a New Yorker article... did you ever read this? http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/02/16/040216fa_fact4