‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sugarplum

You blow my mind every. single. day.

I forget you are little and wonder why you act like a child sometimes. You are so capable, it's confusing. You are some of the best company I could wish for.

Seven years ago today, I was walking the hospital halls, waiting to meet you. Daddy was asleep in the (very uncomfortable) reclining chair, PERL programming book at his feet.

When you were born, just in time for lunch, you looked right at us as if you had known us all along. You are the part of us that makes us US. We have no idea what we did before you.

This year, you want grown up things for your birthday. Tea with friends. Symphony tickets. I'm on my way out now to buy you flowers. You will take out all my vases and arrange them yourself.

You started a new school this year, where you didn't know anyone. Now you have a pile of friends, and eenie-meenie-meinie-moe to decide who to sit with on the bus. Who is this couragous and confident girl, who stands where the deer in headlights once stood?

I am so proud of you. So proud to know you. We are all truly, truly blessed.

Happy birthday, Sugarplum.

12 comments:

TwoBusy said...

When I grow up, I want to be Sugarplum.

Happy birthday.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Happy birthday to Sugarplum! I must assume there will be cake. Enjoy.

just making my way said...

Happy Birthday darling Sugarplum! I will have a piece of cake in your honor.

I love that she wants Symphony tickets. That is awesome.

cIII said...

May the Icing on your Cake be 6 inches thick, Sugarplum.

Happy Birthday.

Susan said...

TwoBusy - Me too. She has better clothes than me.

I trust everyone is eating cake today. It's only right.

for a different kind of girl said...

Seven year olds have a very, very powerful force. It's inspiring. Happy birthday to your Sugarplum!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Wishing your SugarPlum lots of sweetness on her birthday!

Lisa said...

How lovely! Happy happy birthday, Sugarplum!

Rose Brier Studio said...

Happy Birthday Miss Sugarplum! She has become confident, hasn't she? No deers there. So fun to see the growth.

Bella said...

i live too far away. i've missed so much. i look with amazement at MY girls and think that you can't look away one moment or you miss tons. Sugarplum has always been wicked capable and mature. it doesn't surprise me that she takes your breath away. she does have the best of role models. wish we lived closer so she could rub off my girls.... (and somehow she will always be as little as the photo I have our little ones at Shelburne farms) Happy Birthday!!!

phd in yogurtry said...

Aw, very sweet birthday wishes.

Tiffany said...

this is the lovliest thing i've read in a while. happy birthday to sugarplum!