‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

duck season... rabbit season...duck season... rabbit season...

I love this little town so much I want to lie on the sidewalk, all stretched out like a starfish, and smile.

But I can't do that because people around here are hip to their sea life and would be all "SEA STAR, please."

On the other hand, I could do that because no one would step on me. Because there is no one here.

This is what happens to super cute seaside towns after Columbus Day weekend. Or in this case, after OysterFest weekend. One week you're having to consult your magic 8 ball to decide what snack to eat from which restaurant. The next week you're looking at empty buildings and wondering if the people in the house next door made coffee.

I was all set for coffee and a scone from the Wicked Oyster this morning, but was not totally awake and came into town the wrong way. Doubling back, I ran into a detour. They've been fixing the water system (I have no idea what they mean by this) and have been closing bits of town, one bit at a time. This morning it's the bit in front of Wicked Oyster.

Wellfleet is like Peter Cottontail's dear old briar patch. What? You don't know about Thornton Burgess? You weren't raised in the Rocky Mountains by a mother who was in total denial and raised you on New England children's stories? I'm so sorry.

Anyway, Wellfleet has about a thousand and one ways in and out. Want to get somewhere? There are six ways to go. Wellfleetians like their options. Options such as going somewhere else for coffee.

So I turned around and headed for the Flying Fish (don't you love these names?).

Flying Fish is closed.

Since the nor'easter had ended, I walked through town to the Marketplace. A car stopped right in the middle of the cross walk in front of me. She said "oh, I'm sorry!" It was no big deal because it was a Prius and I could have stepped over it. That's another marvelous generalization about Wellfleet: vehicles either get 102 mpg or are work trucks.

A landscaping truck stopped in front of the bank. Settie stepped out and said "good morning!"

Flo Hoops was also in search of coffee, and said nice things about Sugarplum's mad hooping skills while we poured.

A man I didn't recognize came out of the Lighthouse and said "what a beautiful day!"

It's kind of like that time when Danny Meadow Mouse escaped from Hooty the Owl and fell from the sky into the middle of the Dear Old Briar Patch. Danny Meadow Mouse probably needed a cup of coffee and Peter Cottontail was all "here! wrap up in my Snuggi!"

The restaurants and galleries may have closed their doors, but the people have reopened their own.

9 comments:

TwoBusy said...

I think the word we're looking for here is "idyllic."

JettSuperior said...

Your very first sentence made me go a big grinny. I didn't even need the rest of the post.

But don't get me wrong, I did indeed love it.

Laggin said...

I am adding to my bucket list...get coffee with Susan during off season.

just making my way said...

So excellent. We were out late in Oct on Block Island after the summer the Mr. and I met. Much the same.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I think I would like Cape Cod after Columbus Day. Summer? Not so much.

I should really work on this social anxiety I seem to have developed.

Kelly said...

It's the same way here - I love the off season. Friendly, happy people. Cozy. Polar opposite of August.

Guwi said...

People think I'm nuts when I say I want to live by the beach, and they remind me what winter is like by the water in New England, and I say, confused, "But that's why I want to live by the beach."

Duh.

Your small town sounds like my mother's little island, which I believe in the winter, consists of about 60 people. I love it.

Lisa said...

My family went on vaction when I was in high school and we spent two weeks in Wellfleet. It was super charming.

Tiny Dancer said...

It really is my favorite town on cape. Maybe Laggin will let me join you all for coffee.