‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, October 18, 2009

OysterFest 2009

I live in a place that has an oyster festival, replete with shucking contest.

There is, no lie, a $1,000 first prize. The dude who won it this year was the World Champion oyster shucker two years ago. You can call him Chopper. Everyone does.

Wellfleet is a teeny, tiny, two-street town. Over the course of two days, tens of thousands of people come to OysterFest. In other words, it is a walking anxiety attack.

anxiety issue 1
Parking! There's no parking. But there are buses to take you from the beach lots and into town. Also, if you work in town you might be able to park at your work and then get parked in but the people who park you in are friendly and leave their cell numbers on their windshields. They will not, however, return your calls when it's time to leave. You will get out anyway.

anxiety issue 2
Tens! of Thousands! of People!
There are people you know, and people you don't know, and people you know but you don't know how you know them and it's probably best that way. There are lines for everything. If you are smart and have done this before, you will arrive bright and early and get your oyster fritters before the lines form. And then you will go hide in the tent with your husband.

anxiety issue 3
Why is your husband in a tent? Because he is the sound engineer and the tent is keeping his sound board dry despite a nor'easter. At one point, they will need to tie the tent to a parked car so it won't blow away. The walls of the tent are blowing in on all four sides at once. Good times. I'm not so worried about anxiety issue #3, but I fully expect Chris to wake up in the middle of the night, screaming.

I didn't go on Sunday, when the storm hit. This means I missed the shucking finals.

Shucking finals? Are hilarious. You should see them sometime. I know this because
I listened to live coverage on the radio (thank you, WOMR), which was almost like being there. But dryer.

I don't remember putting "live in a place that has oyster shucking contests and community radio" on my list of things to do, but I'm glad it ended up there.

This was last year. It looked like this, but wetter.

5 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I hear ya on the parking... ever try to watch the Wellfleet 4th of July fireworks from a moving vehicle because your hubby can't find a place to park? ;)

Now I know why we had a run on oyster knives at the shop this weekend... heh heh

just making my way said...

Wait. You live in Wellfleet?? Best.Oysters.Ever.

Hope Chris doesn't have too many nightmares. I would love to see that shucking contest!

Tara_LB said...

I too live in a small-ish town, not quite as small as yours sounds, but close enough. Each year we have a 10-day 'National Art's Festival' and something like 200,000 people descend upon our sleepy little town and drive the locals batty!! I tend to go do my grocery shopping at 6am and then hide in my office for the rest of the day!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I sincerely hope nothing this large ever develops in our village. I would have to move. That, or never leave my house. Those crowds . . . no.

Tiny Dancer said...

I have never understood the appeal of oysters and even with a personal invite from one of the musicians, I passed this year. I'm not even sure my son, an honorary 'fleetian, would have braved the monsoon. You're a better man than I Gunga Din!