‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tracy Chapman

There was a group of women at the coffee shop today, mostly all strangers. One heard a Miami Sound Machine song and said "they were the band at a wedding I went to ages ago."

And another woman said, "we almost didn't sign up Tracy Chapman at a talent show."

She described being at the Pied Piper in the '80s, surrounded by flashy drag queens. Tracy showed up in jeans, looking "like a tiny refugee," according to this woman. "Yeah, yeah," they said. "We'll get you signed up. There's the line." She barely made it in.

When she sang, the room went silent.

You just never know when you're in a room with something golden. Until the gold shines.

I'm awfully glad I was out of coffee at home this morning.

7 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

How close the world came to never having "Fast Car." What a horrible thought.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Hubby went out to breakfast this morning with BIL and some testosterone-filled gathering. I was left behind with the coffee we do have at home. No talent here to speak of, other than a new cat who has learned to sneak bacon in the bat of an eyelash. I could have talked to myself about the time I met Jacques Pepin, but I've heard that story before. lol ;)

Tiny Dancer said...

This is why I love your blog.

just making my way said...

That's some cool shit.

♥ Braja said...

What a great conversation to overhear....

All Adither said...

Goosebumps...

MsPicketToYou said...

god that makes me happy because it is so so true.