‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

molting

Our chicken? The naked one? She now has blue quills poking out of the naked parts of her body. I assume these will be feathers. Or the kids have been practicing chicken voodoo. Or she's seeing an acupuncturist.

Frankly, this is more than I ever needed to know about chickens.

The other chickens are not making fun of her (they're leaving that to us). They don't laugh at her, or ostracize her at the water bowl. They don't talk behind her back or chat amongst themselves about how well/poorly she's doing. They do not discuss her situation and arrive at their own conclusions regarding her lifestyle, diet and relationship status.

They are not bringing her non-chicken noodle soup and then praising God that it's HER and not THEM who is naked and quilly.

They are just letting her grow her feathers.

As much as I've learned about chickens, it seems I could learn a few things from them.

7 comments:

cIII said...

Chickens are a double threat.

Wise and Delicious.

Laggin said...

cIII...make that a triple threat...they are noisy too.

Greg said...

This is sorta beautiful.

for a different kind of girl said...

I need to remember this particular chicken when I'm having a bad day at work and the Perfect Preschool Mom Posse is hanging out at the Thomas the Train table while their children destroy the delicate balance of my efforts.

Lisa said...

I love that you are pondering What You Have Learned From Chickens. However. This is a bad time for a chicken to be nekkid. What with the cold weather and all. Although blue quills do sound pretty.

xoxo,

Admirer of Some People

Bell said...

Remarkably deep considering the discussion topic is naked chicken!

just making my way said...

The Tao of Chickens. I like it.