‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, November 12, 2009

wag more, slink less

Yesterday a friend of mine was telling me about a rescued dog who had been so abused, his tail was perpetually pasted to his belly.

One of the ways they worked with the dog was to pet the length of his back, straightening out his tail as they went: top of the head to the tip of the tail. From what I understand, the petting, plus the physiological placement of a happy tail, helped convince the dog that he was safe.

Which is awesome.

The shame is, you can't go around petting people from the top of their heads to the tip of their tails and get away with it.

Yesterday morning I went for coffee and the woman who sold it to me made me feel like I was ruining her entire day by asking her for something. She was like "here, let me tape your tail to your belly for you."

I don't mean to be a "hey everybody, be a little nicer to each other" Pollyanna Happypants kind of person, but WOULD IT KILL YOU?

This is my chicken wisdom du jour: don't let anyone push your tail down. And for extra credit, try making someone feel safe. Top of head, tip of tail.

That is all.

13 comments:

Adam P. Knave said...

Amen! I never understood taking out moods on other people. Sure, it happens sometimes and I get that - but in general treating people as awesome just makes the whole day better, and everything around you better.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Maybe, by that same thinking, forcing your mouth into a smile would convince your body that you're happy. I bet it works. I'm gonna try it.

Bell said...

Everyone should always attempt to be nicer to each other. It makes the day better!

All Adither said...

How dare you ask for coffee, Susan. :)

The top of head to tip of tail analogy is beautiful. You writerly person, you.

Susan said...

See? Comments are one way we can do this. Unless you're a troll.

Trolls should have their balls thrown into a neighbor's yard.

(What, did that not come out right?)

JettSuperior said...

AND YET ANOTHER REASON YOU ARE MY PLATONIC GIRLFRIEND.

Bella said...

LOVE that. i often try that with my kids when they are grumpy. they sometimes don't let me get away with it either but it reminds me of the article in the Monitor about the Golden Rule that i just read. is the universe trying to tell me something?

Faye said...

Great read (as always)!

Your post reminds me of the bumper sticker which declared "practice random acts of senseless kindness".

No matter what progress we cheer-flingers make with the grumpies of the world, lol, have to believe sending good, hopeful, happy-pants-ness out into the world helps. (and who can say/prove it doesn't?!) roflmao.

Thanks for a happy-trout-post :-)
Faye

Lisa said...

I love this. Wag, wag.

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm always having to wag it where I work, and that's all fine, and just when I think I'm going to tip over from all the wagging, I get someone sans tail who wants to grab mine and give it a yank. Then I want to just go lay on a giant pillow in the corner for a bit.

Or something like that.

Susan said...

FADKOG - I work retail, too. Sometimes at the end of the day I just want to go to my room.

Peace Turkey said...

Oh this is so true. Daily I get the yen to walk up to people and say "if I pat your head like I pat my yellow lab's head, will you relax? It relaxes him."

Janine said...

I never realized how miserable most of the customer service people were there until I moved here. People talk to you here. Sometimes they smile. Today a guy said "welcome back." It's weird at first, but now I am totally spoiled.

Hey maybe massage and reiki, etc is the human equivalent to petting/happy tail placement?