‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ginger Lace Cookies


I'm feeling gifty. And cheap.

So I'm giving you my grandmother's recipe for Ginger Lace Cookies. If I can't fit in my clothes, nor should you.

Ready?

Hazel's Ginger Lace Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
1 egg
4T molasses
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda

Beat together the butter and sugar, add the egg and the molasses. In a separate* bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add them to the butter mixture.

Roll dough into small balls (about a tablespoon, aka superball-sized) and roll balls in sugar. Do not press down.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

I'm taking a batch of these to Studley's Winter Festival at school, where he will sing Jingle Bells with eight of his short compatriots. If you are wondering what Christmas is all about, I'm pretty sure ginger cookies and singing 4 year olds factor in heavily.

*I can't write the word "separate" without thinking of A Separate Peace, on which I wrote a brilliant book report in high school. I did not receive an A+++ because I spelled "separate" wrong 40 quajillion times. Stupid word.

I can spell it now because of The Offspring: "you gotta keep 'em sep-a-rated."

I should teach English.

12 comments:

Melting Mama said...

Those are DH's fave. I should make them in spite of my ass.

Lisa said...

I always misspell separate.

And did you spell it piece on purpose? Would be a good cookbook title, actually.

Janine said...

Thank you !!!

just making my way said...

MMMMMM...cookies. I have conquered separate, but I have to think about it every time.

My word ver is "uphilly." That makes me laugh!

Susan said...

Lisa, I had to fix "peace" so I could sleep at night. Maybe The Offspring could write the cookbook for us?

TwoBusy said...

That's pretty close to the Black Dog ginger cookie recipe I made for Thanksgiving. Which is awesome.

JAbel said...

The word"Lace" brings back bad memories for me.As a 70's high schooler Lace meant something someone dropped in your drink or brownie and a few weeks later you saw pics of yourself wearing a lampshade or hugging a toilet or pslugging a large plastic Santa Claus lawn ornament etc.and you didn't recall any of it.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Those look amazing!

Vodka Mom said...

jesus you made me laugh out loud.


a gazillion times.

Susan said...

TwoBusy, are you calling my grandmother a black dog? A scurvy cur?

Jabel, I can't take you anywhere, can I?

erica said...

1. short compatriots!! yeah:)
2. sep-a-rated! i was always the spelling bee nerd as a kid. what happened!? today, it is this very word that plagues me. no matter, now i will just think of TT and the Offspring. TX ;)

C said...

Ohhhh! I am definitely going to try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

Funny, the past few posts I've written happen to be about cookies and baked goods too! ;)