‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

in which I am all that

Chris went to a cd release party last night and I did not.

I did garner this quote, though:
"Chris, who only mastered the CD, was there ... and Susan, who is pretty much the embodiment of all that is musical and good on Cape Cod, was not. What the ???" -Bill O'Neill

Bill is a music writer who's been published in the Boston Globe, the London Sunday Times, CMJ New Music Monthly, the Harvard Independent and the National Enquirer. I am ripping up my resume and having that quote printed on a beer koozie.

He brings up a good point. What makes actually being INVOLVED in a project more important than sitting on one's couch thinking about how great the project is? That's like saying TURKEY is more important than GRAVY.

Which is totally us because, if I may be honest, I wouldn't be involved in the music community nearly so much if it weren't for Chris. I've had to roast him for YEARS to get to the gravy.

Although I didn't get to go to the party, I did make the coveted liner note cut. For which I am grateful. And a little boasty.

I have some thoughts on liner notes.

Young people who are credited in liner notes should be credited in a very small font so they and their peers can bask in the glory amongst themselves. The rest of us should be in 14 point.

Finding myself in the liner notes reminded me of scouring albums for mention of myself as a teenager. There were all these random names in the Special Thanks section, so it seemed reasonable that eventually mine had to show up. Besides, you never know when you'll discover, via liner notes, that Trent Reznor has a secret crush on you.

Which is probably going to happen once he gets ahold of one of my beer koozies.

11 comments:

Greg said...

Oh, you are, baby...

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Just beer coozies? I think t-shirts are in order as well. In fact, I'll give Cuffy's a call right now. ;)

All Adither said...

You are all that. You go!

for a different kind of girl said...

I am still a hardcore liner notes reader. It's just a far harder task these days. On the rare times I do come across my first name dropped in thanks, I do utter a silent little "You're so very welcome."

Celia said...

I had a huge thing for Trent Reznor. That concert was awesome. Although I did NOT blend. I stuck out like a baby aspirin on a tray full of coke.

Lisa said...

You ARE all that!

Also, a long time ago I watched way too much Grey's Anatomy, and in one scene, George was explaining levels of commitment to Callie. He was likening theirs to a ham and eggs breakfast, wherein the chickens are involved, but the pig is totally committed. Not likening you to a pig, but since you have chickens, this sprang to mind. I'll stop now.

Susan said...

For the record, Chris is the committed one and therefore the pig. I'm all bi-product, baby.

Celia, that baby asprin thing is probably my favorite analogy ever. Stealing it.

just making my way said...

I think you should launch a whole line based on that quote! Do they sell slogan t-shirts at Left Bank?

TwoBusy said...

The gravy is far, far, far more important than the turkey. Everybody knows this to be true.

MsPicketToYou said...

how did i miss this?

Tiny Dancer said...

You are wonderful!
I'm still waiting for my name on liner notes, tho no longer holding my breath -- a good thing as I would have passed out for lack of oxygen years ago!