‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!


Twas the morning of Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Except for the mouse
Which is in the Havahart trap.

It should have heeded socio-traditional advice.

I think our kids are broken. It's almost 7am and neither is stirring. I wish they would wake up because I really would like to open my presents and it just doesn't look good for the kids to find their parents all squealey under the tree with ripped paper in their hair.

On another note, we saw Santa last night. He dropped by a party we went to and gave a little gift to each child. We have a picture of our kids sitting in his lap. Which is a Christmas Miracle.

We have this picture because Sugarplum and Studley knew that Santa was our Upstairs Neighbor. Otherwise I would have a picture of Santa, alone, with the sound of screaming just out of the frame. I have lots of those pictures.

It went better with Mrs. Claus when we had breakfast with her a few weeks ago. Sugarplum thanked her for all the gift-wrapping, since she had observed that Mrs. Claus probably did it all.

"Actually, we have elves for that," Mrs. Claus answered.

(later....)

The kids woke up and we opened our stockings. Chris has been looking disparagingly at my awesome pile of loot, as if I had anything to do with his behavior over the last year. Can I help it if Santa thought I should have an entire box of dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar? Santa knows how awful I am capable of being and was probably very relieved at the way things turned out this year.

We're taking a little break to brush our teeth with new toothbrushes, play with Studley's Cootie Bug and to say hello to our friends.

Hello.

We wish you a very merry Christmas (or a happy Friday). May you get a pony.

love,
the Trouts

10 comments:

Bella said...

my girls slept until 7:15 too and i considered it my best gift...until i saw the awesome raspberry colored purse with FRINGE that Vivi picked out for me! it makes me look like the coolest mom ever.

Janine said...

Yeah, I dig a pony. Merry Christmas to you! I don't understand this whole kid sleeping late thing - my grandkids didn't get up until 8:00. My kids used to try to get up at 3:00am. Of course I had to break the news to them that Santa hadn't arrived yet. Guess kids are smarter now, or they just program their iPhone to wake them up.

Cheryl Duford said...

"It should have heeded socio-traditional advice." I just love that line. And the one about the kids being broken. Great post and a Merry and a Happy to you all, too.

JAbel said...

You are indirectly responsible for my favorite gift this year.I sent the link you sent me to The Beachcomber to a friend and one my brothers and I now have a cool Wellfleet Beachcomber Blue hooded sweatshirt.Now all I need is a cool rainy winter to wear it.Thanks Santa Susan.

Peace Turkey said...

Merry Christmas! :-)

I didn't get a pony, but I did get a bike from Jason! Finally at the age of 26, I got a bike for Christmas that was wrapped and under the tree - A Trek woman specific bike to accommodate the hips and bum. Swoooon!

Did you get a pony?

Tiny Dancer said...

This Christmas Eve our daughter commented on how she used to run into her brother's room on Christmas, jump on his bed and say his name over and over again until he got up for gifts. Yesterday we were all tempted to do the same to her, but we resisted and opened presents AFTER eating breakfast instead. I hate to think we've all gotten old!

well actually we did jump on her bed, but she was awake. Otherwise she might have hit us!

raine said...

I don't want a pony, but I would have loves a rapberry fringed purse. We were awake at 4:30...I love Christmas. Happy Boxing Day!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sugarplum has obviously already seen that all the really important jobs are done by the women. Especially when it comes to holidays.

A belated Merry Christmas to all at Trout Towers.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

hope you had a lovely one!

just making my way said...

Someone asked the Pixie what she wanted for Christmas this year. Her answer? "A purple unicorn."

Unfortunately, Santa was all out of those.

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas for the Trouts. Very Happy New Year wishes to you all!