‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, July 1, 2010

punk rock agriculture

This morning I peeked in on the kids while they slept. They were so cute - all relaxed and floppy, with little smiles on their sweet faces. It made me want to shriek "get up! get up NOW!" at the top of my lungs because the child-shaped dents in the ceiling would have made me giggle for years.

But I didn't because I am good at keeping up appearances and the appearance du jour is Responsible Mother.

I have made this little Domestic Nest here for myself which looks quite convincing to the untrained eye. We have chickens and vegetables and a tire swing for crying out loud. We don't even live in the country.

Then you look a little closer and you notice that our corn, which is still juvenille, has gone and dyed its hair. When we shuck it we'll probably find multiple piercings.

This is the sort of thing that happens to us. We try to do something normal (corn in your flower bed is normal. We read it somewhere) and everything goes all King's Road on us.

We should probably just roll with it. We'll change our chickens' names to Wendy O. Williams, Exene Cervenka, Nina Hagan, Lena Lovich, Patti Smith, Palmolive and Amanda Palmer.

We need more chickens because I could go on like this for ages.

People ask us about the chickens all the time. How much work they are, how many eggs we get, what on earth possessed us to get chickens - stuff like that. They think they would like to have chickens of their own to name but they don't do it because they're not in the same position we are.

For a long time I thought they were under the impression that we have some kind of innate agricultural leanings, which we don't. We have bookwormish leanings and culinary leanings and musical leanings that run from opera to punk rock but no, we have no agricultural leanings.

What I have come to realize is that it has nothing to do with agriculture, this perception people have of us. We are not agricultural people, we are people who don't care what the neighbors think. That's what they mean by the position we're in.

Or maybe they just know how awesome our neighbors are. Our neighbors are so awesome they've taken to reading Bukowski to the corn when the rest of us are sleeping.

And to them, I look every bit the part of a responsible mother.

10 comments:

JAbel said...

Never thought of reading"Ham on Rye" to a vegetable before.

Susan said...

that is some truly insouciant corn you got there, girl. probably has its tongue all the way down the throat of your hydrangeas at night. is it spying for russia?

Tiny Dancer said...

Ooh, colored corn? How perfectly New England!

And I wish not worrying about our neighbors would stop them spreading such vicious tales about us. I think chickens on the front lawn would get us turned into Historical!

just making my way said...

Our neighbors disowned us long ago due to the unkempt nature of our grass. (Or at least I'm sure that's what they'd say if they ever talked to us.)

Cool corn!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Looks like a muppet, or a sea cucumber.

Whatever it is, it's cool. I can't wait to see what it looks like inside.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Hate to break it to you, but if you have chickens and corn? You ARE agricultural people. At least compared to the majority of the population.

And of course, there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Because then you're more like me! And of course, that's what EVERYONE aspires to be, I know. Ahem.

Gaelynn said...

I can't believe you have a post with a reference to Wendy O Williams. Just glad that you did not include any mention of taking a chain saw to a car in Wendy O fashion. You made my day. Bless you.
Gaelynn

The Holmes said...

Back when we were only going to get 3 chickens, we were going to name them Barb, Margene, and Nicki. Then we ended up with 7 and none of them have names, or at least not names that we've given them. Maybe they have names amongst themselves.

Anonymous said...

Patti Smith... does that chicken go barefoot?

I met Nina Hagen like 20 years ago, as a chicken she must be pretty crazy

G

Nicolette said...

That corn is just adorable! Really does look like the beginning of a muppet...