‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Trouts Step Out


If I just tell you some of the stuff we do and then shut up before I go and ruin it, my life sounds pretty cool.

Like this:

Today Sugarplum and I flew to Nantucket for breakfast.

Now you have this picture of what kind of person I am. I look good right? You don't need to know that I was wearing my flannel pajamas (the ones with gnomes on them) squinting at my email one minute and shrieking at Sugarplum to get dressed the next.

She, of course, was already dressed. That's the way kids are when they want to grow up to be pilots. They get up and pull themselves together. Then they spend a few hours doing experiments with their 300 Electronic Circuits! kit before breakfast. So when there's an email from a pilot who offers to take them flying, they are ready.

We had an hour to get to the airport, which spawned its own chaos of chicken feeding and dog walking and jacket finding. I got dressed and then walked the dog, which totally threw off the neighbors who have been placing bets on which pair of pajamas I'll have on. I like to think they have at least a passing interest in my pajama selection and take pains to warrant their puzzled stares and drawn blinds.

Sugarplum decided she wanted to be a pilot when she was four. A friend of ours, who we (surprise!) know because he's married to someone in a band, is a commercial pilot and likes encouraging kids to learn to fly. Today was gorgeous and pretty much the whole rest of the world was hung over, so it was a good day to hop on a plane. (Actual paying people get to go first.)

Captain Dave put Sugarplum in the copilot seat, boosted up by someone's flight suit. He buckled her in and showed her what a few of the gauges were for.

Seriously, how cool is that? When I was 8 I learned to write limericks. Eight is soul forming, people.

We had breakfast at the airport because it is Nantucket so even the diner at the airport is awesome. Sugarplum poked her egg yolk and announced "these must be local eggs."

I'm going to give you a minute with that.

We took a cab into town, where Sugarplum shot video of the cobblestone streets to show Studley when we got back. She also took video on the flight home, although we haven't watched any of it yet. The flight was smooth but her camera work requires a solid hit of Dramamine.

Studley will dig the video. And I'll just keep playing the scene in my head.

Today Sugarplum and I flew to Nantucket for breakfast.


(and it was delicious)



7 comments:

All Adither said...

That. Is bitchin'.

I like all your books stacks on the sides there, by the way.

raine said...

Wow...really. Just going to Nantucket would rock my world - I've never been.
Maybe we should do an exchange?

Cheryl said...

While this is completely amazing and awesome and envy-inspiring, I just have one question.

Who was on seagull watch? That gets you even bigger bragging rights.

TwoBusy said...

I'm pretty sure that would be the high point of my 2011. Hopefully it's just an indication of the awesome yet to come for you.

Lemon Gloria said...

You flew to Nantucket for breakfast!!! That in itself sounds like magic. Happy 2011!

Logical Libby said...

That is freaking awesome, and the pajamas just make it more so.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

When I was about eight, I flew in a very small Cessna with my dad in Alaska. Though he was a commercial pilot for many years, that turned out to be the only time I was ever in a plane he flew. It was pretty rad.

My brother is now a commercial pilot, so maybe I'll manage being a passenger with him.

I love that your daughter can identify local eggs. You're obviously a perfect mother.