‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, March 30, 2012

we all gotta sing

This morning another friend shared the Britain's Got Talent video of Jonathan and Charlotte blowing minds and spurring the sales of thousands of boxes of tissues. So of course I had to watch it. Again.

And then I made Chris watch it so I could watch him pretend he had something in his eye.

What is it that we love so very, very, very much about videos like this? (If you haven't seen it, scroll to the bottom, watch the video, and come back. I'll wait.)

No matter how rich our actual and for-real lives are, we also live vicariously through others. We love watching people find their voices and be who they are. And when someone surprises us out of our tendency to pigeon-hole, a little piece of us gets un-pigeon-holed. We are more than we appear to be. When we see someone else shine, something in our subconscious assures us we can, too.

We all have a Jonathan voice in there somewhere. Ours may not be discovered on Britain's Got Talent and circulate the internet, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

If you've ever heard me sing, you know I am not speaking of "voice" in a literal, singing sense. It's whatever you do that makes you feel completely you. It's that thing that makes you forget your fears and self-condemnation and lets you... sing out.

In Jonathan's case, he's probably pretty accustomed to not getting a chance. If this video is any indication, he's judged right out of the gate. Turned off. When he does get his chance, though, all shyness and self-consciousness falls away. Who doesn't want that? Who isn't grateful that another human being has had this moment? Who can watch someone's whole life crack open like a sprouting seed, and not need a tissue?

And then there's Charlotte. Oh Charlotte, you are my hero. If you take the bushel basket off of someone else's candle, the light shines on you, too.

If it weren't for you, Charlotte, my husband wouldn't have been able to flush out whatever was in his eye.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it´s always nice to see the (pleasantly) unexpected.

When I sang at my wedding (unexpected, I had been practicing with my brother playing piano in secret), my wife and most other women around were moved to tears as well. Now, whether that was because of the 'I love you' in the song or my terrible voice (not exaggerating here), remains to be seen...

George

Cheryl said...

So well written and so very true.